Sunday, November 30, 2014

Children's Film Analysis


Film: The Little Mermaid
Year Released:  1989

So, what's wrong with the Little Mermaid??


Well, in a nutshell, plenty!  

Before we get into my scathing review of Disney's "The Little Mermaid," I must first start with a disclaimer:  I, like millions of other kids from the 1980's, LOVED this movie when it was first released.  The underwater world was incredible--with all it's flashy fish, bubbles, and merpeople.  The songs were super catchy, and there was a human prince and a mermaid princess to reaffirm the idea of "true love."  So, you may be asking yourself, if I used to love this film, what's changed since I became and adult?  Well, now I can watch something and look at the messages that it is sending me with a critical eye.  I am no longer so distracted by cartoon fish and an obese octopus villain to see the flaws and terrible messages contained in this catchy little kids' movie.  I can now look at Ariel and think about what my daughter might think if she saw this film.

So, let's take a critical look at "The Little Mermaid."  I really want to emphasize that Ariel is 16 years old during this movie.  Keep that in mind as you are thinking about the decisions that she makes.  

Ariel's underwater world is ruled by King Triton, the patriarch of the merpeople.  He is the authority figure and the one with the power.  Ariel, like many other 16 year olds, is somewhat rebellious.  She is fascinated by the world outside of the ocean, and she collects "artifacts" from sunken ships.  She also spends as much time on the surface as she can, despite the fact that King Triton has specifically forbidden her from going to the surface.  It is during one of these "surface excursions" that Ariel falls in love with a human (a prince, no less) after she rescues him from certain death in the ocean.  And this, my friends, is where the subtle sexism of the underwater world (inherent in any patriarchal society) becomes the full-blown anti-feminist, oppressive sexism that we should never subject our children to!  I know that may seem harsh to many of you Disney Princesses Fans, but please keep reading to see how I justify my opinion.

Ariel decides, with the wisdom and sound judgement of a 16 year old, to make a deal with the Sea Witch, Ursula.  Ursula will transform Ariel into a human and give her three days to make the prince fall in love with her.  If Ariel is able to get the prince to kiss her, then she can remain a human and live happily ever after with the prince.  If, however, she is unable to make the prince kiss her in 3 days, she becomes Ursula's (to do with as she may).  Oh, and Ariel has to give up her voice (which has been touted as her strongest talent) to Ursula in exchange for the legs.  Ursula sings the song, "Poor Unfortunate Souls" while Ariel is debating giving up her voice---I just wanted to share some of the lyrics of that song:

"The men up there don't like a lot of blabber
They think a girl who gossips is a bore!
Yes, on land, it's much preferred for ladies not to say a word
And after all dear, what is idle prattle for?
Come on, they're not all that impressed with conversation
True gentlemen avoid it when they can
But they dote and swoon and fawn
On a lady who's withdrawn
It's she who holds her tongue who gets a man"
  
Ariel, of course, agrees to the terms and signs the contract.  

SO, to recap, Ariel agrees to physically and drastically change her body, give up her strongest talent, leave her family and her home (perhaps forever), and risk her personal and eternal freedom all for the chance to be with a man that she spent only a few moments with...yep, that's the message in this movie.  No one with any sense would ever take a deal like that.  And, yet, here's our heroine, the girl that the little girls watching the movie look up to, doing just that.  Ridiculous! 

So, now Ariel has legs and three days to make Prince Eric fall in love with her-- and, remember, this is without the use of her voice (her voice, incidentally, is all Eric remembers about the girl who rescued him).  With the help of her sea creature buddies, Ariel nearly gets Eric to kiss her on a boat ride.  Let me just share a few more lyrics from the catchy tune, "Kiss the Girl:"

"Yes, you want her
Look at her, you know you do
It's possible she wants you, too
There is one way to ask her
It don't take a word
Not a single word
Go on and kiss the girl.."

Yep, the crab is telling Eric not to ask permission to kiss Ariel, to just do it.  Remember, it's Ariel's voice that's gone....she still hears just fine.  But why ask?  Eric actually doesn't get a chance to force himself on Ariel because Ursula's minions capsize the boat and the moment is ruined.  

Ursula now realizes that Ariel may actually succeed in getting the prince to kiss her, so she, too, disguises herself as a human and uses Ariel's voice to hypnotize Eric and turn his back to Ariel.  Big confrontation on the water ensues.  Ariel doesn't make her 3 day timeline and Triton resurfaces to save Ariel from her fate, by allowing Ursula to take him instead.  Of course, that allows Ursula to take his powerful trident and try to kill Ariel with it.  Luckily, there is still another man who can save Ariel.  Prince Eric (a human in the water) is able to kill Ursula and save Ariel and her father (and all the other souls Ursula imprisoned). 

Triton, grateful that Eric saved him, realizes that his 16 year old daughter loves Eric, and he agrees that they should be together.  He transforms Ariel back into human form and allows her to be with Eric.  Lucky girl--she finally gets all that she's ever wanted--a man!

Of course, Ariel is no longer a mermaid--she is now a child bride. She has had to leave her father, her sisters, and all of her sea creature friends, but she has her man.  And, apparently, that's all you need to live happily ever after....



Other Points: 

Although I feel like I really tried to critically look at this film while I was watching it, there were a few things that I missed.  In doing research for this blog, I found that there are more sexist and stereotypical images in this movie then I was aware of.  I would like to share some observations from other authors who have also come to be disappointed in Disney's popular mermaid.  These ideas contribute to the opinion that this movie is terrible for teaching young girls about strength, self-confidence, self-reliance, and independence.

Although I didn't focus on appearances, many people discussed how Ariel looked and dressed (which I thought was pretty typical for a Disney Princess).  She is thin and beautiful by conventional standards.  Of course, her purple shell bra does help to objectify her (Mirandafilmstudies blog).  But, other authors also pointed out the way that Ursula looked and dressed.  "And who is the villain in this story? Why, it's Ursula, of course, a single, powerful woman who lives in a cave below the sea. Ursula despises love, but recognizes that she can get what she wants from those who are in it. Ursula is overweight, unattractive, and bitter. Because any woman who has power, lives alone, and is a threat to the king of the sea is probably an ugly old sea witch, yeah?" (Hortense Smith, Jezebel).


Another article pointed out that Ariel plays the part of the "helpless female." When she and Eric first meet, she allows him to rescue her and bring her back to the castle (Linda Agrin).  I thought that, despite Ariel's rule breaking, she was very much presented as a "helpless female" throughout the movie (even when she wasn't trying to be).

Chloe Angyl summed this movie up nicely in her post on Feministing.  She writes, "It’s about a young woman forced to choose between her father’s world and her husband’s world, and there is nothing in between." 


References Cited:

1.  Ågren, Linda:  Linguistic sexism in mermaid tales:  A study of linguistic sexism involving the mermaid figure in films. http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:696768/FULLTEXT01.pdf

2.  Angyl, Chloe: Consuming Pop Culture While Feminist:  Disney's The Little Mermaid:  http://feministing.com/2010/03/08/consuming-pop-culture-while-feminist-disneys-the-little-mermaid/

3.  MirandaFilmStudies:  Sexism in Disney Movies:  The Little Mermaid, Princess and the Frog, and Snow White. http://mirandaflimstudies.blogspot.com/2013/06/sexism-in-disney-movies-little-mermaid.html 

4.  Smith, Hortense:  Sleeping Beauty May Be Safe, but Ariel has Some Explaining to Do.  Jezebel: http://jezebel.com/5062161/sleeping-beauty-may-be-safe-but-ariel-has-some-explaining-to-do 




















10 comments:

  1. Wow, I never noticed all of the sexism in the film. I also never noticed the lyrics in the song "Poor Unfortunate Souls." It is amazing how several words are put into a song like this one, that has so much negative meaning that is supposed to be projected to children, in particular little girls. I think you made a great analysis on this film and I enjoyed reading your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your analysis. It was really enjoyable. I also liked your personal story. I also feel this is kind of not appropriate to describe 16-year-old girl. Ursula is the typical vicious witch character. I believe that Disney draws vicious character as not beautiful, good looking, and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking forward to reading your write up because this was my mothers favorite kids movie and I never understood why. It came out when she was in high school. I was hoping your review would help me see why she liked it so much but it didn't. It just confirmed what I always thought. I watched it as a kid but only remember liking it because of the fighting at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great explanation and analysis from your blog. This was one of my favorite films, and I watched this film many, many times, over and over. I am sad that I found out how much sexism is in this film. I also agree with your points about stereotypical images where mermaid looks beautiful, and thin, compared to Ursula who is not attractive and beautiful as she is. This movie definitely leaves negative attributes in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve watched this movie so many times but I have never seen it through the eyes of an analysis. You pointed out so many good points that I did not even notice before. I never really heard the words that the sea witch sings. That is so harsh, but I guess she was trying to persuade a sixteen year old. I never really saw it as a sixteen year old girl who has to persuade a man to fall in love with her and kiss her. I guess I portrayed her as older, but that was such a good point that she was a child bride. Thank you for your review on this video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really excited to read your review, because mine was on The Little Mermaid as well. Although some of our points are really similar, you pointed out things that I completely missed. The different song lyrics that you involved are so crazy! I can't believe I never realized the significance of what was actually being said there- and I've seen this movie like a million times. It's kind of a weird brain washing technique if you really think about it, because the songs themselves can be really catchy. I think you've done a fantastic job with your review. I can tell how passionate you are about some of the things you talked about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. some great points here! I knew before that this movie would be filled with these types of themes, but had never before seen them in this way. I particularly like your point about the "Kiss The Girl" scene because that had previously been one of my favorite songs from the movie, and now I can see it in a whole other light!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there .First of all I loved the little Mermaid too, so I am right there with you. I really enjoyed how you put a quote from the song in there "The men up there don't like a lot of blabber
    They think a girl who gossips is a bore!
    Yes, on land, it's much preferred for ladies not to say a word
    And after all dear, what is idle prattle for?
    Come on, they're not all that impressed with conversation
    True gentlemen avoid it when they can
    But they dote and swoon and fawn
    On a lady who's withdrawn
    It's she who holds her tongue who gets a man"
    Since growing up and learning what words mean, the more that I listened t these Disney movies, the more that I found more things wrong with them. Just things that I didn't realize when i was a child. Because I mean lets face it. That isn't what we are looking at. We just like the songs, the words don't matter. However in listening to it in the car and at Disneyland I ran into that specific phrase a number of times learning that maybe there is some sexism in there. I was really hoping that somebody who did this movie would mention it and it was you! Great job on your post I love how visually pleasing everything is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was very curious to read analysis on this movie because my uncle is IN LOVE with The Little Mermaid. Here's a link to a video from a Feminism group on Facebook that was shared about this movie. http://www.upworthy.com/see-the-little-mermaids-red-hair-first-then-see-plenty-of-red-flags-about-the-movie-exposed?c=is1

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the energy and voice you put into this post! This was so fun to read and and made me want to keep reading more! One thing I learned was that Ariel was 16! I had absolutely no idea!
    Great job!
    - Abigail Baird

    ReplyDelete